St Cuthberts Swallet has been open for over 50 years and is in a good condition. The overriding imperative is to preserve St Cuthberts and yet keep it open for visiting cavers in a sympathetic way. To this end these rules, derived from long experience, are given .
- Parties are limited to five (5) cavers per warden.
- No novices are permitted in the cave.
- All tourist trips in the cave must adhere to one of the recognised tourist routes.
- Trips into Rabbit Warren Extension, Victory passage and Canyon Series are limited to 3 cavers per warden. Even with these numbers great care must be exercised. Do not take trips to these locations (or September series) unless requested.
- No more than 3 cavers at a time should enter Curtain Chamber.
- Do not use vulnerable routes such as Rabbit Warren extension to Struggle passage via Erratic Chambers, Vantage point to the cascade and Rabbit Warren to the fingers.
- Electric lights only.
- If visiting a particularly muddy area of the cave try to wash off in the streamway to avoid muddying other sections of the cave.
- A tackle fee is payable by all non BEC Members.
- No digging is to be undertaken in the cave without the permission of the BEC committee.
- All cavers must have current BCA insurance.
- Persons under 18 (eighteen) years of age must be accompanied by parent or legal guardian.
- The Warden’s decision is final in relation to any part of the trip underground.
- Write all trips in the Cuthbert’s log.
- All cavers entering St Cuthbert’s should be made aware that sediments in the cave have a very high lead content and it is recommended that any clothing exposed to mud/sediments should be washed after use.
Published: April 2022