Exploration Club, The Belfry,

, Priddy, Wells,

Editor: John Williams

1994 – 1995 Committee

Hon. Sec.                Nigel


Treasurer                 Chris Smart
Caving Sec.             Jeff Price
Hut Warden            
Tackle Master          Mike Wilson
Hut Engineer           


Membership Sec.    

Richard St
B.B. Editor               John Williams



Hello Belfryites one and all.  So much has happened since the last BB that I
can’t possibly tell you about it all here, you’ll just have to wait for future
issues.  There has been much foreign
travel by members as is evidenced by articles in this rag, not least Snablet et
al in
Sulawesi.  I believe he is in the

the time of this going to press but no one has heard from him recently – not
even his poor mum!  So who knows.

Treebs (who is also in the Philippines) myself & Ross
White spent Xmas in Glencoe, again write up to follow in another issue,
although I believe Spike might have something to contribute about this.

Alex Smith has been working at
& I have an article from him but no time to type it up
at present.

I am, however, still short of material, so if anyone out
there fancies putting pen to paper. .. please do.

Some Notices.

There will be a working weekend at the Belfry on March 11th
& 12th.  This is to be coupled with a
BEC ‘Night In’.  Entertainment fun &
games as well as food courtesy of Struan will be provided.

Anyone who has any kit at the Belfry please remove it
beforehand – or it stands to get lost / auctioned / junked.

Anyone coming to work please bring tools/cleaning stuff etc.

There will be no cooking facilities this weekend as we
intend to renovate the kitchen area. There will also be no changing facilities.

Lunch and an evening meal will be provided at cost (2 or 3
quid) with veggie options.  Should be
good fun …. come & join us!

From the Hut Warden …

Day fees at the belfry are still at the stunningly reasonable
price of 50p.  Not bad for a shower, a
shit and a cup of tea!!


That’s all can think of for now so on with the show ….


This is the last Belfry Bulletin you will get if you have
not paid your subs..





Jeff Price
Martin Grass

Dave Irwin


Steve Redwood


Jeff Price
Chris Smart





C. Batstone


C. Castle
A. Cave
J. Dukes
P. Glanvill
M. Grass
C. Harvey
P. Hellier
J. Henley
D. Herbert
T. Humphreys
D. Irwin
K. King
T. Large
J. Large
S. McManus
M. McDonald
M. Palmer
B. Prewer
E. Sandford
C. Smart
A. Sparrow
N. Taylor
D. Turner
G. Villis
M. Wilson
G. Wilton-Jones
B. Workman


A. Butcher (SMCC)
G. Price (CSS)
J. Beauchamp (MCG)
M. Cotter (MCG)
R. Mansfield (UBSS)
A. Moody (WCC)
R. Haliwell (CPC)
M. Simms (SMCC)
A. Boycott (UBSS)




Jeff Price
Chris Smart

South Wales


Martin Grass

Tim Large
Rob Harper

CRAIG  Y  FYNNON (Rock and Fountain)

Martin Grass

DHU  1

Martin Grass

Dave Irwin
Brian Prewer
Greg Villis
Tim Large


Do The BEC Get Everywhere ?

Dave Irwin

Many members collect all forms of caving ephemera and three
items have come my way in the last few years that may be of interest to
them.  The first is an advertisement from
Country Life, November 24th, 1955 for Nescafe coffee.  This item was found by Bill Tolfree of the
SMCC in the south
Devon area and eventually a
copy of it found its way into my collection. Although there are many examples of show-cave advertisements for the
Mendip area one specifically displaying cavers is most unusual.  Perhaps members may remember the advert and
more interestingly some may know who the cavers are.  It has been suggested that the cavers may have
been BEC members – does anyone remember? The side of the cave passage displays half phreatic tubes and the most
likely Mendip cave appears to be Goatchurch main entrance pas­sage. To assist
identification of the left hand figure an enlargement is reproduced of the
facial features  

Anyone recognise this man?


Nescafe advertisement, 1955

Cave postage stamps and ‘Cinderella’s’ are avidly collected
by many cavers throughout the world – so numerous are they that a magazine is
published regularly on the Continent. Cinderella’s are labels produced to
resemble post­age stamps.  There are
numerous examples of this type of product usually produced by show-caves as
advertising stickers on their picture postcards and general mail. They are not
recognised by the post office.

Soon after the discovery of the series of extensions found
in Gough’s Cave between 1892 and 1898, the Gough family produced sheets of
stamps depicting Richard Cox Gough, the man behind the venture.   These appear to have been printed shortly
after Gough’s death in 1902,   the
earliest date of   ‘use’  of this label seen by the writer in on a
picture postcard postally used in 1904. A single specimen on the back of picture postcard nom Cheddar in the
writer’s collection is about 1907.  It would
appear that this label was available for a number of years.


MAROC – 94 – A Youth Expedition To



Doctor Andrew Newton –
(Expedition Leader)
Mr Christopher Willey – (Assistant Leader)
Mr Michael Smith – (Assistant Leader
David Lancaster
James Smith
Robert Canning
Timothy Harris
Alasdair Putt
Stephen Plumbley
Habib Fouilloux


The main aim of the expedition was to introduce a group of
youngsters (members of the Third Gosport Sea Scout Group) to the challenges of
expedition work and to allow them a chance to experience something of Moroccan
culture and lifestyle.

As the first ever expedition made by British Scouts to
Morocco, MAROC 94 aimed to establish a link with the authorities in Morocco which
would prove beneficial for future expeditions visiting the Country.

On the mountaineering side the aim was to allow all the
expedition members an attempt at reaching the summit of
Toubkal (the highest mountain in
North Africa).



Travel to
was with Royal Air Maroc (the National Airline of Morocco) from London Heathrow


to Marrakech.


On arrival a one day and two nights stay in Marrakech (the

was taken, to allow for re­organisation of equipment after the flight,
provisioning, fuelling and also for acclimatization to the climate.  The time spent in Marrakech also allowed the
expedition leaders to make contact with local youth officials including
representatives of the Scout Organisation in Marrakech.

Accommodation was arranged at the Grand Hotel Tazi, however,
unfortunately due to over booking the first night had to be spent at a small
Berber Hotel in the Medina (old town) which afforded those unfamiliar with
African travel a crash introduction to the delights of a cheap “doss
house” (cockroaches and all).

The expedition travelled from Marrakech to the mountains by
bus, using SATAS the local bus company which runs a 3 times daily service from
Marrakech to Asni (the regional administrative centre for the central High
Atlas region).  In Asni locally run
trucks are readily available (at a price) for onward transportation up to the

village of


Using the

village of
(altitude 1,740
metres) as a base the expedition undertook a 3 day acclimatization phase which
consisted of short day walks of increasing length and altitude.

The walks undertaken included a 5 mile circuit of the middle
Mizzane Valley visiting the waterfalls above the village of Around and a 10
mile trek over Tamatert Col (altitude 2,279 metres) to the remote village of
Tacheddirt (altitude 2,314 metres).

Imlil makes an ideal base for an expedition as there are
plenty of shops from which to purchase fresh rations (albeit at higher than
average prices).  The village also has a
Club Alpine Francais hut which provides basic accommodation at very affordable
prices and also a number of small hotels and family run Gites (Guest Houses).

During this phase of the expedition we befriended a Franco
Moroccan mountaineer called Jean-Pierre who runs a mountain guiding service and
owns a Gite in the village.  Their
exceedingly mountain wise 11 year old son Habib asked to join the expedition
and rapidly became both a valuable asset and a good friend to the other
children on the expedition.


The ascent of Toubkal
(altitude 4,167 metres).

Making a late afternoon departure we climbed to the village
of around (altitude 1,920 metres) which sits perched on a moraine at the entry
to the upper

.  We spent the night in a small Gite in the
village (the Guest House was run by one of the local farmers and had a balcony
affording the most magnificent panoramic view of the surrounding mountains).

The next day we made an early start and with a team of 3
mules to transport our rucksacks we made the long ascent up the Mizzane Valley
passing through the village of Chamharrouch to the Neltner hut (altitude 3,207
metres).  The Neltner hut is
traditionally regarded as being a suitable location for advanced camp prior to
a summit ascent. Due to the popularity of the hut with trekking groups the
majority of private parties climbing the mountain during the summer months opt
to camp on the flats just underneath the hut.

Our expedition took an additional acclimatization/rest day
at the Neltner.  For those brimming with
energy a one day trek over the Ouanoums Col (altitude 3,876 metres) was
arranged.  This

is famous for the fantastic view which
it affords over Lac D’infini and the Jebel Sahro.

The ascent from the Neltner hut to the summit of Toubkal is
a 2-3 hour trek passing through the western Cwm (renowned for its loose scree
slopes) and then by using either the

or the south west Arrette ascending to the
summit plateau.

A dawn start was made to avoid climbing during the heat of
the day and also to miss the cloud which tends to shroud the summit of the
mountain most afternoons in the summer months.

We were extremely lucky with the weather and reached the
summit with a panoramic view in all directions.

After returning to the Neltner a restful afternoon was spent
splashing underneath the waterfalls and re-packing kit for the descent back to

Having used all of the food and fuel the descent was
undertaken without the use of mules, allowing the expedition members to gain
useful pack carrying experience for the final stage of the expedition.


Trek to Tizzi Oussem

The final two days of the mountain phase of the expedition
were spent on a circular trek to the remote village of Tizzi Oussem (altitude
1,850 metres), crossing over the exceedingly arduous


(altitude 2,489 metres) en route.

Tizzi Oussem is a classic northern central Atlas Berber
village which thanks to its remoteness from roads has remained untouched by
development.  The village is situated in
a very fertile valley which is intensively farmed using an extensive system of
terraced fields and an ingenious series of irrigation ditches.

A very comfortable night was spent in one of the village
houses and the following morning was set aside for exploring the village (with
the inevitable crowd of small Berber children in tow).

On arrival back in Imlil we went to stay at our friend’s
Gite where Jean-Pierre had prepared a huge taggine (a traditional local meal)
for us.  Our feast was accompanied by
Berber music performed by the local village band which Jean-Pierre had employed
for the evening to thank us for looking after his son.


After our return to Marrakech a day was spent visiting the
famous palaces and sights within the City and also for shopping in the

(which has a maze
of little streets and alleyways where craft stalls, spice markets and workshops
jostle for space and customers attention).

We were lucky to have our touristic wanderings supervised by
a representative of the local Scout Association who ensured that we got value
for money and also did a fabulous job of defending us against the Marrakech
hustlers (whose aggressiveness is legendary).


The following communal equipment was used on the expedition.

One Ultimate Horizon 4-man tent.
Three Hornet 2 man light weight tents.
Four Peak-one multi-fuel burners.
Fourteen Sigg fuel bottles (one litre).
Five Trekker Well water purification systems.
Cooking Equipment.
Navigational Equipment.

Obtaining fuel for camping stoves can be a problem in

.  Camping Gas is widely available (in C206
cylinders in cities and in larger cylinders in more rural areas).

Unleaded fuel is difficult to buy (Government permits often
being required), and kerosene and methylated spirits are almost impossible to


During the acclimatization phase, military type compo
rations of the boil in the bag type were used. These rations give 3,000 calories per day and come in an easy to prepare

For the high altitude phase of the expedition, dehydrated
rations of the Raven type were used with dried fruit, crunchy bars, sweets and
hot drinks as dietary supplements.  (A
total calorific intake of between 2,500 and 3,000 calories a day was aimed


The climate in

is generally warm and dry
during the summer months.  In Marrakech
the average mid-day temperature is in the region of 110 degrees, however in the
mountains the temperature is considerably more comfortable for trekking.

In the central Atlas region it is common for cloud cover to
build up during the day with precipitation and electrical storms frequently
occurring during the late afternoon and evening.


MAROC – 94 achieved all of its major aims. In particular the
expedition demonstrated that it is entirely possible for a correctly equipped
and well supported Youth Party to successfully undertake a major trekking
challenge in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco.

Doctor Andrew Paul
BEC Member


MRO News


Whatever happens during 1995, be it flood, earthquake,
suicidal students, collapsing boulder ruckles or fat people in thin caves, this
year will mark the end of an era for the Mendip Rescue organization with the
retirement from Secretary of Jim Hanwell at the General Meeting in March.

Since the MRO was formed in 1936 it has placed great store
in continuity and has only had 3 previous secretaries – Dr Bertie Crook, Howard
Kenney and Oliver Lloyd.  Jim has always
been the first to say the MRO is nothing more than Mendip cavers with a
different, and more serious, hat on. True – but each secretary has, in his own way, affected how fellow
cavers and outside bodies perceive us and our efforts.

Jim became a Warden on 6th March 1960 so his service at the
sharp end covers that Golden time on Mendip when it seemed that caves were
being extended every weekend.  Equipment
for both cavers in general and rescue in particular was sparse and crude by
modern standards and it seemed that not a Saturday night passed without the
Hunters being cleared prematurely to haul some bedraggled bods up the
Forty.  Were we innocent then?  Virtually all the MRO kit would go in a
couple of tackle bags and the only interest in “outside bodies” was
keeping our good relationships with the Mendip farmers and trying to tell the
Press as little as possible!  Jim took
over as Secretary at the 1972 General Meeting and inherited a St. John’s carrying
sheet, a couple of pulleys, some NiFe cells and assorted “string” –
the bank balance wasn’t much better either and would probably not have bought a
beer for every Warden – even at 1972 prices!

How times change – the MRO store is now bursting at the
seams with hi -tech kit worth thousands of pounds and we need an Equipment
Officer to maintain it and a Training Officer to show us how to use it!  The Secretaries time is increasingly taken up
in liaising with others – South West England Rescue Association, Mountain
Rescue Council, Association of Chief Police Officers, British Cave Rescue
Council, the Press, and, most importantly, the local Emergency Services, the
farmers, residents and cavers of Mendip. Anyone who thinks that MRO only exists and functions 10 or 12 times a
year when it gets a call is living in dream land.  During Jim’s tenure in the hot seat to the
end of 1993 MRO was been called out 227 times to assist more than 495 people
and assorted animals.

Jim has always said that the Mendip Rescue organization IS
Mendip caving – well, yes, he is right.- but someone had to channel the anarchy
and bring order from chaos …………..

THANKS JIM …… some poor sod had to do it …… glad it
was you!


Thanks to the good work of John Hill and the generosity of
the Castle Cary Red Cross we now have several hand-portable radios which can be
used in parallel with our Emergency sets. They are not dedicated to the National Search and Rescue frequency so
can be overheard by others – please be discreet.  These sets should be a great help during
exercises and practices and for non-emergency traffic during incidents.  The Call Sign will be as for all our other
communication devices – HUNTER.  They are
now in place in the store and in use.


Saturday 28th January 1995


Practical Session by John Hill
Hunters Lodge 7:30 pm

Saturday 25th February 1995


Annual event to keep us all up to
date with latest thinking on Artificial Ventilation and External Chest
Compression techniques.  Lots of dummies
and expert advice.

Hunters Lodge 7:30 pm

Friday 17th March 1995


Hunters Lodge 8:00 pm prompt

Saturday 25th March 1995


Practical session covering the
observation & recording of vital signs – Blood Pressure, Pulse, Pupil size
etc. John Hill

Hunters Lodge 7:30 pm

Saturday 29th April 1995


After incidents and practices
many useful suggestions are made.  This
session gives those concerned the opportunity to report their findings, have
them discussed and acted upon.

Hunters Lodge 7:30 pm

Saturday 20th May 1995


A day-long practical session at
Westbury Quarry More details to follow – from Nigel Taylor & posters


Wardens Meetings – Hunters
Lodge 8:00 pm prompt

Friday 12th May 1995

Sunday 26th November 1995


Caving and Diving in


With Bob Hill

having an average annual rainfall of about half an inch, is not the place where
one would expect to find caverns measureless to man.  However it has been much wetter in the past
and although cave development is now very restricted the great masses of
limestone that make up the country’s Hajar mountains contain some extraordinary
examples of “what could have been” had the climate been different.

Below is a rundown on the caves visited and some of the
finds made.

Majlis AI-Djinn.
(Meeting hall of the spirits).

Having avoided getting to know anybody with a 200m caving
rope for two years I finally overcame my abject terror of big pitches for long
enough to agree to visit Majlis with Alistair Fraser, a diving buddy of mine,
when he imported a suitable rope late last year.

The cave is somewhat remote. A five hour drive from
Muscat, 3 1/2 hrs of which is on rough tracks, steep in
places, takes you into the mountains of the
Eastern Hajar
and up to about 2000m before dropping slightly to a village.  From here a 10km walk across the Jebel,
(mountains) brings you to the cave. There are two large entrances, one at each end of the chamber, each with
a free hanging drop of about 130m onto rubble piles in the chamber.  However the most spectacular way to descend
is through Cheryl’s crack, (she found it I’m told) which has a single free
hanging descent of 169m (555 ft).  The
crack is about 5ft wide and, after a descent of about 40ft, you emerge into the
middle of this mind blowing chamber.  The
problem with the place is that it is impossible to gauge the scale of the thing
until you have abseiled down for about 5 minutes and realise that although the
roof is now way above, you still seem to be no closer to the floor.  A 15 minute abseil finally lands you on the
ground in the middle of the chamber amongst a few scattered goat bones.  (The animal must have disintegrated when it
hit the floor).  At this point I
discovered that, in my enthusiasm for not falling out of my harness, I had done
up the leg straps so tight that I could no longer feel my legs and feet.  I lay on the floor in agony for about 5
minutes hoping no-one threw anything down before managing to drag myself away
from under the entrance and recover.  A
wander around the wall of the chamber, which is roughly oval and about 200m by
300m, is a good half hour walk.  This
accomplished while Doc Fraser abseils into the cave.  After a few pictures the prussik out takes 45
minutes (which was respectable for a man of my age and I wasn’t the slowest).

The slog back to the car in the heat of the afternoon makes
this a tough day, but it is worth the effort. There are several other large
caves in the vicinity of Majlis, one of which is a through trip with several
pitches, the major pitch is reputed to be 180m (590 ft). Plans are afoot to
visit this in the autumn.


Not far from the interior town of

is Gubhrat Tanuf.  A small perennial stream flows from this cave
which is entered via a small slit often occupied by “harmless”, but
long, snakes and a nest of not so harmless, bad tempered, wasps.  This cave was first surveyed by Tony Waltham
in the mid ’80s (Karst and caves in the Jabal

Trans. BCRA., 12.) as far as a sump, with a side inlet also pushed another 500m
or so, also ending at a sump.  I first
visited this cave in 1991 and noted that the sumps looked diveable.  Returning with a cylinder a year later the
sump at the end of the inlet was passed after 8m (no depth) to reveal 30 m of
passage with the stream issuing from a small hole in the wall! 

On a more recent trip two short sumps in the main stream
were passed by myself and Alistair, and 50m of passage lead to a third, larger
looking,  sump which awaits our next visit
with more air and line.  Because it
doesn’t rain too often here the accumulation of silt in these sumps makes the
vis atrocious with the first diver only getting a quick glimpse of where to go
before being enveloped in a cloud of silt. The dive back is in pure drinking chocolate.

Khaf Hoti.

Another cave in the same area, Hoti, is a real cavers
cave.  It is a 4.5km through trip, also
surveyed by

and is a sporting and enjoyable.  The
cave begins in what is essentially fossil passage which floods after heavy rain
(rare), and changes to newer more active stream cave after about 1.5 km before
the final lake is reached about 1.5km before the end.  A swim of 800m finally ends at a steep bank
which leads to 1/2 km of occasionally well decorated dry cave to emerge at the
original resurgence.  This cave is well
worth a visit!


After the last diving trip to Tanuf we decided to follow a
new track up the nearby mountains and quite by chance came across an obvious
pothole entrance right beside the road. Exploring further, we found a couple of other promising shafts nearby,
all of these had drops estimated at about 50 to 80m based on our trundling
efforts.  One shaft swallows a large rock
in two bounces with a definite splash at the bottom.  We returned to the first of these with SRT
gear recently, and abseiled, to our surprise, down a narrow 45m shaft, passed a
liquefying and extremely smelly, goat corpse on a ledge, to end up in a water
worn passage, with a reasonable amount of pretty calcite.  The way on is through a choice of two holes
in the floor which drop about 30 m to water (not visible).  Plenty to be done in this area too, But
‘Goats End’ will have to wait until the next flood because I hate having to
wash my hands in the only liquid we had left, beer, to remove the smell of
putrefying flesh before we could get in the car.

Alistair and I also visited the nearby AI-Ohr spring which
proved to be a disappointment.  We were
regaled with tales of large, submerged chambers and good vis, with a definite
way on by our contact in the Ministry of Water Resources who had snorkelled in
the resurgence pool.  What we got was 1ft
vis and consequently spent the first half hour trying to squeeze through a very
tight hole with our kit on before deciding that we must be nuts.  Eventually however we did find a way on, 4m
deeper than we expected and Alistair laid 35m of line to a small, very smelly,
air bell with myself following.  At this
point we had both had enough, and although the cave obviously has potential
someone will have to do some pretty smooth talking to get us back there in a

Tiwi Sinkhole.

East along the coast, about 120km from

is the local “tourist”
attraction of a large Sinkhole.  Inland
about 1 km from the sea, a 50m by 70m hole with a partially solid floor is
descended by a 15m scramble to a large pool which has a tidal range of about a
foot and is obviously dubiously connected with the sea.  Before yours truly and his little bunch began
exploring the place seriously in 1992, it had been dived several times by local
expat divers, all on base fed line, and tales abounded.  My first dive, on a single tank, at the end
of 1992 convinced me that the place was well worth putting some effort
into.  We now have a team of divers who
have been working at trying to survey what is turning out to be a very large
submerged cavern, (see attached sketch). The classic sulphur layer of your average blue hole is found between 8
and 13m after which everything gets very big and very deep.  The cave has turned out to be very
frustrating with the wall meeting the boulder floor at depths around 60m.  Alistair and myself have pushed several
promising leads, all dead ends.  The most
promising so far, an hole in the floor at -50m was pushed to -64m from where it
could be seen continuing down, too tight, and too deep to follow.

On a technical note we are considering the use of Trimix for
dives below 60m, but find ourselves very isolated from the expertise available
Europe. The gases are available locally but obtaining tables / Algorithms and
specialist equipment is proving a problem. Can anyone help?

Needless to say, with summer daytime temperatures often
approaching 502 C (1202 F), winter is the time to explore, unless you can park
next to the entrance.

If anyone is keen to come and see for themselves please let
me know.  It is possible for a limited
number to obtain visa’s for


these days and contrary to most people’s idea of the middle east this is a
wonderful country with spectacular scenery.






Sulawesi Expedition

By Snablet

A Brief summary of
events in Phase I
.     Oct 14 – Nov
20 1994.

The ‘A’ Team: Rob & Helen Harper, Tony Boycott, Peter

We hired a Kjang from Ramayana tours 75000 rp with driver
(Anton) and fuel all in.  It was a full
days drive from UIP to Masawa, at the base of the gorge/valley. We found
accommodation at Pastor Willem’s school & church.  Lokko Ledo was visited and surveyed.  We got lost on the way to the cave &
spent a couple of hours hacking our way through virgin jungle.  A hard days work for 193m of cave, but it was
in limestone.

The area seems to be mainly igneous rock, possibly basalt,
with a few limestone caps on top of the hills leaving remnants of old river

The rest of our foray into the Mamasa river area failed to
turn up any limestone caves.  A lot of
rock shelters and waterfall undercuts as well as granite boulder piles were
visited, leading to much disappointment. One of these involved a 36km walk in through dense primary forest, the
cave was a measly 5m long!  But the walk
was cracking, Cobras crossing our path – monkeys could be heard howling in the
trees.  We stayed at the remote

village of
– an excellent place.  We also tried chickens foot whisky at our
guide Fido’s house – he was the local English teacher … there was no school
the next day!!!  We also noticed that we
could cut a third of the time off that the locals quoted for walking distances
as we weren’t herding livestock to market!

Note .. .! don’t like granite boulder caves, they are loose
and don’t go anywhere.

We had an interesting stay at a village near Mambi.  We had not mastered much in the way of
Indonesian and none in the village spoke ‘Ingress’ (no surprises there) but we
managed to get by.  The whole village
came to watch us, my bivvi bag seemed to cause great hilarity whenever I got
into it.

After a week or so we abandoned the Mamasa river area our
conclusions were that there is very little limestone in the area.  We followed up all our leads of rivers
flowing from underground … they all flowed from underneath large granite
boulders.  It was a dirty job but
somebody had to do it.

We journeyed to Rantapo next & great excitement overcame
the team at our first glimpses of hanging limestone cliffs and massive
limestone tower karst, which could be seen from just before Enrekang up to
Rantapo.  This called for a celebration,
a local Bintang hostelry was located & we proceeded to drink the fridge
dry.  Rob & Snablet decided to check
out the local disco for a late one.  With
about 8 other clientele in the joint Rob & I were the only ones pissed
enough to partake in dancing (Involving cossack dancing, morris dancing,
somersaults etc.) & we earn ourselves the nickname of ‘Crazy Ingress Men’
… all this to the Reggee 3, the Indonesian version of Ging Gang Goolie!

Sullukan … a taste of things to come. (Hopefully.)

20m from the road at Makula, park next to the bar with the
swimming pools.  A large impressive
entrance 5 x 4m with a reasonable stream flowing into it.  A large gour could just be seen in the gloom
ahead.  YES … here we go!  Unfortunately only 200m to a sump.  The gour is worth a look if you are ever
passing by and there is still a going lead in the cave, reminiscent of compost
corner, only a bit tighter & with Kamikaze bats flying through it.  Whoever pushes it best keep their mouth shut!

Next stop Lokko Ponte, a bit more like what we were looking
for.  Large passage cuts through the
remains of the limestone.  It’s well
decorated with large dead stal. a bit like a railway tunnel in dimensions,
linking two depressions.  A closer
examination whilst surveying revealed a lower series.  The cave has the strange phenomena of having
two downstreams & we have yet to find any upstream. I suspect it is through
a sump somewhere around the first duck. Rob got something of a start when one of his survey stations turned out
to be an orange snake!  Passage
dimensions are a bit vague at that particular station.  Tony made a sterling effort at diving the 2nd
downstream duck/sump through to another surface depression.  Total length of cave 1.5km.

Another cave entrance was noticed across the depression
(Tete – Batu).  A quick investigation
proved that we would be back the following day.

Tete-Batu, Lokko Nippon/Kandi api system was explored (we
boldly went where several hundred Indonesians had been before) and
surveyed.   It’s an impressive system
with two active streams.  Where they join
a 150m swimming canal was followed by Rob & Tony to a sump.  5 other sumps were also found in the
system.  There are two high level
routes.  On the left by climbing over a
large stal boss into an extremely well decorated (for
series to another entrance (We don’t know its name).  On the right just inside Tete-Batu entrance,
up a steep mud slope is a series going to Lokko Nippon entrance then onwards to
Kandi api entrance, this route is used as a short cut by the locals.  (Lots of graffiti in this series).  The total cave length is about 2km.  Apparently the cave is not very distinct as
Tony B returned to the cave with J-Rat & Mac and resurveyed from Kandi api
entrance through to Tete-Batu approx 300m before he noticed it was the same
cave that only ten days previously we had spent 6 hours surveying and
photographing!  The graves in the
entrance didn’t give you any clues, not even the skull with the BEC sticker on
its forehead!!!

A word of advice … don’t try to ascend a rope using kevlar
shock cord prusik loops, it may be nice and light for the walk in therefore saving
you a bit of energy.  This however is
totally wasted in the struggle to get out of the shaft, the kevlar cord may as
well be super glued to the SRT rope. Great for stopping you from slipping, nine tenths of fuck all use for
going up!!  We visited a cave
“Sarambo” currently being used to supply the local villages with
water, we were allowed in.  It’s a nice
cave with two ways on.  One down the main
streamway where we stopped at a duck and the other, possibly the flood bypass
or an inlet, where we also stopped at a duck approx 160m of passage.  Unfortunately the cave turned into Manor Farm
overnight with the local farmer demanding an extortionate amount of money for
his favourite charity.  He did however
look a bit bemused when he was told where to go!!

The area around Kalosi was our next destination.  We visited four largish caves only to find
out on our exit from each that other foreigners had already visited.  We also found evidence that they had already
been surveyed, topofoil cotton, stations marked on walls and gardened
pitches.  Oh well, they were worth the
visit, shame none had published their findings. We moved out of that area.  We
decided to wait until the Speleo Sportif guide book comes out about the area so
we know what’s been done.

Pasang – definitely no tourists armed with a compass, clino
& tape have been here!  We only had
time for a flying visit.  We took a short
stroll around the area, 22km, taking in four caving trips.  We decided to return to the area at a later

Back to U/P to meet the reinforcements.  Liz Price was first to arrive, closely
followed by J. Rat & Mac. Chris York caught us up in Rantapo a week later.

Tony B, Liz P & Snablet visited the showcaves at
Bantimurung -Maros.  They are quite
impressive; if you visit them take your own lamp.

“The Night of The Big Drink.”

We were back in Non – Muslim country with beer on sale &
Mac & J-Rat had arrived and if we needed an excuse it was my birthday.  Pissed??? -I should say so!!!  I can’t really remember much about it- best
ask the others, Mac carried me home about oneish, Rob was last in about
sixish.  The following day was cancelled!

Returned to Pasang and spent 2 days surveying Lokko
Lambale.  The SRT equipment was brought
into action, four pitches rigged and descended and a rope climb.  We discovered some nice passage.  The Kepala Desa thinks we’re mad “2 days
in Lambale” total cave length 880m.  My biwi
bag is causing a storm ‘all day in Lokko – then sleep in lokko sarong!’ they
all come in especially to watch me get into it…who cares, at least it keeps
the mosquitoes away.

Gua Possoloa: two caves with the same name.  One’s above the other by about 4m.  Big dry passages, lots of bats and spiders,
we even saw a shrew in the cave.  Cave
length 500m & 250m.  We had an overnight
stay at Limbuang.  Rob & Helen were
given the guest room (because they were married) I had to share a bed with the
family & there were 6 of them (I think) the oldest abut 75 the youngest
about 6. At least I managed to sleep through the morning prayers (at about 4.00

Tapaan: this cave is halfway between Limbuang and Gua
Possollo.  The trail leads down through
an eerie gorge – like something out of a sci-fi film.  The entrance is a resurgence.  The stream forks, to the left leads to an
unclimbed waterfall in a large bat chamber, to the right is 80m of crawling
leading to a duck then onto another entrance. total length 500m.  There are other caves in this gorge but we
could not stay any longer – it would have been unfair on the local village.

Back to Rantapo to see the others, unfortunately they had
exhausted the area.  Their conclusions
were that there used to be massive cave systems but now the majority of the
limestone has been washed away by the rivers leaving only tantalising glimpses
of what might have been.  Lokko Nippon is
still the largest system we visited.


Rob Helen Chris & Snablet – headed north to central
Sulawesi.  It was a
good full days drive over the mountain range into the central area.  You can almost see too much tropical rain
forest around the hairpin bends and along the subsiding roads.  We stayed at Pendolo on the

shore of

Poso, its a mellow place. Next stop Beteleme. This is the area which Colin Boothroyd & co visited briefly on their
1989 recce trip, they rated it as the best area they encountered & likely
to reveal more subterranean delights. Our journey was ‘ Palan Palan’ ­slowly slowly – first because of a bad
road then because the river kept disappearing underground.  This river contained some impressive gour
pools.  Beteleme is surrounded by
limestone cliffs and holes can be seen in them from the road.  The only problem for locating caves is that
the hills are very steep & covered with dense primary forest.  Out of the three caves we visited, two had
definitely been surveyed – Gua Tamaoa by Colin & co.  A very impressive cave 1.8km long, at one
point the passage is 60m wide and 25m high, it ends in a boulder choke.  It is located at the head of a valley and
disappears into the mountain.  There are
many more valleys in the area maybe each of them has a cave at the head, only
time will tell.  I have this area
earmarked for a revisit with Annette & Jim when they arrive.  The other cave visited was Gua Dembiua,
approx 100m and we found topofoil cotton running through it, possibly from a
Spanish recce trip in ’88.  The third
cave we visited was near Denbiua.  A
local bloke from the Garage popped up to see us while we were exploring and
said in Indonesian “If you like that you will love this one.”  He then showed us a longer cave nearby,
approx 500m long with three entrances. We then ran into problems with the police (nothing new for Mr Harper –
ed!) wanting us to make a donation to his favourite charity … so we left!

Back to Pendolo … a day relaxing and enjoying the luxury
of a fridge in our Penginaden. (Guesthouse.)

The following day I headed north towards
the others headed for

. Phase I of my trip drew to an end. My route started with a 4 hour boat ride across


to Tentena where the boat has to anchor about 40m from the shore as the water
is too shallow.  A bloke from the harbour
paddles across in a large plastic fluorescent orange swan and then ferries all
the passengers and goods ashore.  Its all
very surreal.  A 2 hour Bemo ride to Poso
harbour ready for the next crossing of Tomini bay.  To Minihasa peninsula via the Togian
island.  I travelled economy class and
slept in the lifeboat – it wouldn’t have been any -use in an emergency as the
bottom had rusted out!  A very pleasant
journey across the sea watching the dolphins diving out of the water by the
bows of the ship.  I ‘m now in

awaiting the
arrival of Annette and Jim and the start of phase II of my trip.  The planned areas of attention are the rarely
visited central eastern peninsula and the south east peninsula.  Then hopefully on to the eastern limestone
mountain range on
Kalimantan.  Phase III is of course speleo





Spike’s Corner.

Greetings one and all. It’s been some time since I’ve written anything for Jingles and
apparently some of you have missed my ramblings!  (God knows why … ed!)

Berties Travels!

I am reliably informed that your beloved editor spent the
New Year at the Hill Inn working behind the bar.  Fair play to John & Sue for putting up
with him.  During this time it was noted
that the large brass Bertie that hung above the bar went missing.  It seems that some Certain Unknown Northern
Trogloditic Sorts wandered off with it from under Jingles’ nose.  When said crime was noted, and two and two
added together to make five, certain enquiries were made at a local caving
hut.  With his usual diplomacy, and the
aid of J-Rat running interference, Jingles cased the joint and missed the
article completely.  We have since heard
that it was only feet from the BEC twosome at one point.  Sadly the duo had to leave the area without
Bertie but not without suspicions as to its whereabouts I’ll GRANT you!!!

Over the next few days an interesting series of events took
place, involving Liz Fish, telephones and Northern cave divers who shall at
this point remain nameless, save to say that we knew who cartered off
Bertie!  Offence being narrowly avoided
on more than one occasion, Bertie mysteriously appeared by post some days later
chez J-Rat, just in time to be returned to John & Sue Riley on their flying
visit to Mendip.  It should be mentioned
that it was posted recorded delivery and paid for by the nameless one.  (Fair play to him say I.)  Eventually Bertie was restored to his
rightful abode along with a poem attached which unfortunately at the present
time I am unable to get hold of.  However
J-Rat penned a reply which goes as follows …

To he who pinched the Hill Inn
No, we don’t think you are a pratt
Ten out of ten for splendid jape,
That left the BEC agape.
We worried for this trophy fine,
Lest it be hanging on a line,
A mile inside some dismal sump,
Or mounted in a caver’s dump.
Now Its back we raise a cheer,
And settle down to supping beer,
The Bat is, just like Theakstons brew,
Of value great to John & Sue.

Before I leave you I have to say that J met with a very
despondent Andy Sparrow in the Hunter’s lodge the other week.


I enquired of him what the trouble was and he replied in
plaintive tones “My wife’s away on a course”.  Thinking that her absence was the cause of
his ill humour I asked what the course was, came the reply ….

… personally I feel sorry for whoever tries to teach
Joanna to be assertive …. !!!

See y’all ….. Spike.

© 2024 Bristol Exploration Club Ltd

registered in England and Wales as a co-operative society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, registered no. 4934.